Hello Beauties! As spring slowly approaches, (pun intended), we lovely naturals must be prepared for the dryness our hair is about witness. So, in this post I’m sharing how to avoid dry hair at all cost. 🙂
WHAT IS A HUMECTANT?
- a substance that attracts water
- since it attracts water, that area is kept moisturized
- most common is glycerin
3 HUMECTANTS FOR THE HAIR
- WATER: is the ultimate moisturizer. Water equals moisture. To introduce or retain moisture, water must be present in your daily hair routine and diet. Of course, we all know this; moisturize your hair and body from the inside out by drinking water.
- ALOE VERA: is a natural moisturizer and pH balancer for hair. It doesn’t matter if you’re using the juice or the gel; the properties are the same. I like to mix aloe vera gel with my leave-in conditioner or whipped shea butter.
- HONEY: it attracts and holds on to water molecules making it the perfect treatment for dry, dull hair.
- HAIR PENETRATING OILS: Coating Oils or oils that are water tight to hair, are not moisturizers. Oil and water do not mix. But hair penetrating oils are the exception to the rules. These oils aid the hair by increasing its ability to absorb and retain water molecules. These oils are coconut, olive and avocado oils.
Hope this post helps!