WHAT ARE SPLIT ENDS: Splitting ends are places along the hair shaft where the cuticle is actively breaking apart and the cortex of the hair is exposed. So in other words, The tip of a person’s hair that has split from dryness or ill-treatment.
WHAT HELPS ME REDUCE SPLIT ENDS?
- Work with second day hair: When I style my hair in a twist out, I tend to rock the same twist for 3 days. I sleep on a satin pillow case and a satin bonnet. This helps to keep my style in tacted.
- Cleaning hair in section: Since going natural I found the clumping the hair in one big pile on top of your head and scrubbing is unnatural. Due the bending and rubbing this actually encourages splits ends.
- Condition your ends: Be sure to apply conditioner directly to the ends of your hair, and then give it a couple of minutes to soak in.
- Towel drying: BIG no no. Try using a T-shirt or a micro-fiber towel when drying the hair. It helps reduce frizz, and split ends.
- Use a wide tooth comb: Most naturals are well aware of this. Its been visually passed down through moms, aunts, grannies, etc. Wet hair is very vulnerable to damage. As opposed to a normal brush with a thick head of bristles, the wide tooth comb will lightly glide through hair and loosely manage your locks without causing as much breakage.
- Trimming: trims will be needed at some point to regulate split ends. If handled with care, you won’t have to trim as often. However, handle with care if you choose to do it yourself, or seek out a good professional.
These are my tips for preventing split ends. I’ve learned through experiences, and these methods have helped. Feel free what advice you have. I’d love to read them. 🙂
Stay nappy loves!